It's Girl Scout Cookie season! I don't have Girl Scouts in my neighborhood, but have memories of selling them in the 1950's and 1960's. I also got involved as a parent (buying many, many boxes) and as a troop leader in the 1970's.
My Dad let me bring home a folder of newspaper clippings, cards, and drawings from and about his children and grandchildren. Included were several poems he had written when the grandchildren were small and the following is one of them:
To Jeannie, A Super Cookie Salesperson
"Hi, PePaw, This is Jeannie!"
"Hello, Jeannie, How are you?"
"I’m selling Girl Scout cookies, PePaw."
Would you like to buy a few?"
"We have many kinds to choose from
Surely, there are some you need.
Chocolate chips, you can rely on
For a group you want to feed."
"One they call a sandwich cookie
They’re chocolate, one stuck to another.
Then we have one called Savannah
They’re delicious, peanut butter."
"Chocolate mints are tasty also
They disappear with great speed
Then we have a new one this year
A cracker called Sesame Seed."
Jeannie’s only eight years old
Not old enough to know
How much she means to PePaw
With her youthful voice aglow.
She could sell him anything
For a dollar or a penny
It’s worth the price to hear her say,
“Hi, PePaw, this is Jeannie.”
What was/is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?
- Book Recommendation: So Much for That by Lionel S...
- Some Gifts and Blessings and a Warning
- Girl Scout Cookie Season: A Poem from PePaw
- A Tale of Two Kindles and a NOOK: Part 2 - The NOO...
- A Tale of Two Kindles and a Nook: Part 1 - The Ki...
- Cure for a Listless Tuesday: A List of Movies that...
- Lots of Valentine Ideas at Laurie's and Holiday Ha...
- Book Recommendation: The Lonely Polygamist by Bra...
- My Readers: More Friends than Followers
- ▼ February (9)
Recently Read Fiction Favorites
- A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
- A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
- Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
- Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
- Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
- Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos
- Confessions of a Former Rock Queen by Kirk Bjornsgaard
- Every Last One by Anna Quindlen
- Faithful Place by Tana French
- Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
- Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg
- Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow
- Innocent by Scott Turow
- My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira
- Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler
- Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
- Private Life by Jane Smiley
- Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
- Roses by Leila Meacham
- Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos
- So Much For That by Lionel Shriver
- South of Broad by Pat Conroy
- That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
- The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson
- The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
- The Given Day by Dennis Lehane
- The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
- The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall
- The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
- The Sky Took Him by Donis Casey
- The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
- The Wind Comes Sweeping by Marcia Preston
- Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom
- Wolf Hall by Hillary Mandel
- World Without End by Ken Follett
- Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks
Favorite Nonfiction and Memoir
- All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Reason by Nancy Pearl
- Getting Over Getting Older by Lettie Cottin Pogrebin
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
- Sharing the Journey: Women Reflecting on Life's Passages by Katherine Ball Ross
- Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
- The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin
- The Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dustbowl by Timothy Egan