I would like to pay tribute to the wonderfully talented and beautiful actress, Dixie Carter. She brought so much enjoyment into my life, mostly through Designing Women's Julia Sugarbaker. Since I didn't know her personally, I like to imagine that Dixie had many of the same characterisitics as Julia: sassy, spirited, persuasive, a true friend and loyal sister (whether by blood or shared concerns).
Who will not remember Julia's tirades in defense of Suzanne's beauty queen status or in response to unwanted attention on a cruise, or (most importantly) in regard to the many politically-charged situations where she very skillfully nailed the truth and maintained her composure?
Dixie was also a wonderful singer and dramatic actress and has entertained many, many people during her career.
I'll remember her best as Julia, though. She helped me to be stronger, prouder, and less afraid to speak my mind. I'm sure that there are countless women who feel the same.
Thank you, Dixie. You will be missed.
- ► 2011 (35)
- Five Friday Favorites -- Things That Make Me Happy...
- Annie and BFFs Weigh in on Public Restrooms
- An Afternoon at the Oklahoma City Festival of the ...
- Book Recommendation: Remarkable Creatures by Trac...
- Molly, Malone, and Other Furry Family Members, Par...
- Molly, Malone, and Other Furry Family Members
- Memorial - Dixie Carter
- Lots of Ham on Next Week's Menu
- Friday Favorites -- Some Magazines I Love
- Altered Book: Reader's Digest Converted to Center...
- That Little Girl
- Oklahoma Book Award Finalists: The Wind Comes Swe...
- ▼ April (12)
Recently Read Fiction Favorites
- A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
- A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
- Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
- Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
- Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
- Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos
- Confessions of a Former Rock Queen by Kirk Bjornsgaard
- Every Last One by Anna Quindlen
- Faithful Place by Tana French
- Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
- Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg
- Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow
- Innocent by Scott Turow
- My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira
- Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler
- Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
- Private Life by Jane Smiley
- Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
- Roses by Leila Meacham
- Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos
- So Much For That by Lionel Shriver
- South of Broad by Pat Conroy
- That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
- The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson
- The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
- The Given Day by Dennis Lehane
- The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
- The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall
- The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
- The Sky Took Him by Donis Casey
- The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
- The Wind Comes Sweeping by Marcia Preston
- Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom
- Wolf Hall by Hillary Mandel
- World Without End by Ken Follett
- Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks
Favorite Nonfiction and Memoir
- All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Reason by Nancy Pearl
- Getting Over Getting Older by Lettie Cottin Pogrebin
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
- Sharing the Journey: Women Reflecting on Life's Passages by Katherine Ball Ross
- Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
- The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin
- The Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dustbowl by Timothy Egan